
This morning I was rushing around doing the girls hair for church. Combing, curling, blowdrying, straightening, hair spraying. You get the picture. After getting Emily's hair "just right" I applied the hair spray, made sure the cute heart we braided into it was 'just right', and the end of her ponytail hung strait and perfect. "Okay, you're done" I said. I watched her as she ran off down the hall to go downstairs. She was swinging her ponytail side to side with all her might!! I'm sure she was trying to feel it swish against her head but I had just spent 10 min. on her perfectly coiffed hair! The first thoughts that popped into my head was "STOP!! You are going to ruin your hair!! I just finished doing it and you are messing it up!"
Then, all the sudden I remembered what it was like to be 7 3/4 yrs old and have your hair done all pretty and swish it back and forth so you could "feel" it.
Because you felt beautiful and glamourous.
And you hoped others thought so too.
"Let her be a little girl" I thought.
So I kept my mouth closed. :)
7 comments:
Awesome! I love to 'swish' my hair around!
I remember doing that too when I was little! Way to stop yourself, and think about how she was feeling! Don't know if I would have...
I really swished my hair around when I wore pj bottoms on my head and it doubled as the long hair I didn't have. You just have to pick those battles.
Good job....letting her swish her hair! AND Good job getting five girls ready for church! That's a lot of hair! Hats off Laurel! We're lucky if we can get a comb through Avery's hair--and Ashley hasn't 'allowed' me to do her hair for almost a year now. It makes me sad. It's something I loved to do for her. She's become very independent--the only thing she really cares that I do for her is read. I should do it more often!
Good job wolo.
That reminds me of the story when Grandma and Grandpa Hansen had just put new grass down and Dad was playing in it with his friends and were messing it up and grandpa was going to go get after him and grandma told him to leave him be and let him play, he's a boy.
I love reading your posts! I saw Conan in the BYU magazine the other day. Way to go! So when will you move into your new house?
Ahhhh . . . that is sweet -- I definitely remember doing that. I was just thinking today as the boys were talking about their amazing weekend how much little Milly is growing up. I have to admit I'm kind of sad to see her doing more girl things . . . . but she's got to grow up, I guess. We sure love your girlies! :) Thanks for sharing this story!
Post a Comment